Ok, so as many of you know, I have been having back problems.
After the flair up over Memorial day weeekend, my PCP ordered an MRI.
While we were gone on vacation, the results came in.
They showed a herinated disc L5-S1 (for those of you who know what that means).
The disc is sitting on my nerve that runs down my leg to my left foot. This is where the bulk of my pain is coming from.
I shared the results with my chiropractor and my physical therapist and talked about pain management ideas before going under the knife.
Both agreed that surgery was needed since the disc is already herinated and cannot be "put back in". The best description i have been given is it is like putting shaving cream back into the can. Since it expands as it's released, you can't put it back in. and even if we could relieve the pain, the disc is still sitting on the nerve and eventually, there would be long term nerve damage.
After our meeting with the neurosurgon on Thursday, he strongly suggested surgery.
This morning I scheduled a microdiscectomy for Tuesday June 23rd. We won't have a time until the day before.
If you would pray for me and my family, especially my support system, since I will need them now more than ever. I will need to spend the night in the hospital and if all goes as planned, i will be released the next day to go home. I should be pain free when I wake from the surgery, only having aches that are normal with surgery. This will be a huge relief from what I am feeling now. I will be doing minimal activity (walking is ok) until released from the doctor (should be around 10 days). However, I will not be able to lift anything over 5 lbs for about a month after surgery. This is where prayers for the kids come in. ; )
Thanks in advance for the prayers!
I'll keep you all posted on my recovery!
No comments:
Post a Comment